5.30.2008

I have the kind of insomnia where you wake up at four am. I don’t have any trouble falling asleep because I have been drinking Kava tea (after a half to ¾ bottle of wine) and reading a Russian novel before bedtime every night. So I’ve been getting up mad early. This was ok for me one day out of the week because that is how many days I am a fitness professional. But now I think it’s really going to start to work out for me, this reverse insomnia, because B and I have taken to patrolling the Silverlake reservoir in the morning. A nice five mile walk-a-bout with a 70% chance of running into or getting run over by Giovanni Ribisi. He nearly hit us in this giant Cadillac/Chrysler 300 today and B shouted “there’s that man again!” Like he was the same dude that had just oogled us seven blocks back.

Yesterday N and I learned a wonderful city secret that I’d like to share with those of you living on the east side or close to Pasadena. The Academy Theater on Colorado in the dogged-out part of town has two dollar matinees and one dollar hot dogs. Those are seventies prices folks! We saw “Standard Operating Procedure” and I highly recommend that everyone go see it. It’s not much of a date movie (unless you met your date in the trader joes parking lot after admiring each others “Fuck Bush” bumper stickers) but a great thing to take your parents to. I love that all the soldiers got to tell their side of the story and I love how Errol does his visual thing by concentrated slow motion reenactments on key or offbeat elements. One particularly unnerving part presented a close up of an eyebrow getting shaved off with a disposable razor. So close up you could barely make out what was going on; is that the logging of a forest or the close up of that play-dough salon toy? Some old lady in the theater couldn’t control herself and yelled out at one of the young soldiers, “don’t you have a conscience?!” The five other people in the audience shushed her. She was missing the subtleties of the movie, the overall argument made by the film; that the big big guys in the US administration put the blame and the burden of the immeasurable corruption in our armed forces on our undereducated, and oftentimes poor, entirely volunteer, young-as-hell soldiers. And conscience? Well maybe they do have a little trouble in that area but in my opinion (and Errol Morris agrees, I can tell by the slow-mo dog growling footage) that is yet another thing the US Military took away from them when they signed up.

Peace in the Middle East.
End for-profit culture.
Stop nuclear testing.
Support our soldiers.
Love one another.

Happy Birthday Bethany. That is your free revolutionary message. Enjoy.

1 comment:

bethany toews said...

enjoyed, thoroughly.