8.01.2013

A Swiss Summer

A common theme on the road-trips this summer : Small & Swiss.

Thanks to a recommendation, while we were in Buckhannon on B's academic business, we took a switch-backy mountain drive up to a small swiss village in the WestVirginia hills. It is known as Helvetia. I do mean small - according the 2010 census the population is 59.

The town has a homey restaurant called the Hutte House:



Inside it looks like a lived-in treasure shoppe:


The owner proudly displays her West Virginia Business College degree:


You get a plate of cubed baby swiss as an appetizer and beer is served in giant cold ceramic steins:


After our late lunch we went for a stroll down the street. As in THE street. 


Settled in 1869 by some Swiss folks that just wanted to MYOB!

A beautiful flower bed on a pretty little bridge over a quaint little crick:


The town convenience store and post office - we were told that the woman who owns the restaurant is also the town postmistress:


The reason I love Swiss villages is because most buildings are called HAUS:




On my way back from Michigan I got off the highway after seeing the small hand-painted billboard that touts the quaintness of the swiss village of Berne, Indiana. I'd seen it on my trip a couple times and always wanted to stop and if there is one lesson I can teach y'all after my couple decades on the road - if you want to stop: DO IT.

I'm glad I did especially because my timing was perfect. The mechanical people and glockenspiel in the historic (looking) clock tower were about to do their noon dance!


If you don't have photosynth for your phone - get it. It is the most fun panorama app ever. 

The city center is quite fancy for a town of just around 4,000 people.  Here is a set of swiss arms:



The entertainment began at noon. 

I don't know anyone who doesn't like a good glockenspiel and mechanical figures coming out of a clock at noon. Here's a taste:




And here is proof that there was popcorn:



The tour bus:




In town, all the stores and buildings look like swiss chalets. Even the McDonalds!
Here is the fire station:



If I could have stayed two more days I would have been able to attend their swiss festival. I can only eat so much dense cheese and cheese soups in July. I will just have to come back another time.




1 comment:

kfw said...

adorbs