1.02.2007

Burnt Retina


DSC07683
Originally uploaded by kayekilla.

The other day, back in '06 if you will, we drove out to the Salton Sea. It was incredible. Incredibly abandoned and reflective.

The only other people out there were some horseshoe playing rad dads and a few youth skateboarding enthusiasts from Burbank (go figure) and then there was the layzee park ranger that closed up the visitor center at 3:57. After I saw the park ranger guy walk to his pick up truck I understood that he was on an add-five life timeline. He either had rheumatoid arthritis or just too many twinkies to eat, either way the man was not keeping the visitor center open until 4 let alone rush to his car after a long day of park visitor centering.

N asked anyone that crossed her path about swimming in the Sea.
She got all kinds of answers from "its FINE" to "don’t even think about it, they've been dumping nuclear runoff there for years."

The woman (maybe a park assistant?) lowering the State of California Flag told her to come back in June, the water would be 80 degrees (forget the regular temp of the air would be 120) but I think N was really interested in just taking a dip in someplace where she could just float. I can see the appeal but I am afraid of pelicans, they are some of the most vicious and diseased waterfowl.

On the topic of vicious and diseased it does seem that the new year has brought about a hot mess of gentleman troubles with my g-pals and myself. Besides my own typical and infuriating issues, several relationships that I had believed to be rock solid or at least based on the trustworthy and unwavering love of rock music, have broken up. I just heard my darling favorite coworker in tears because some johnny-come-lately (who she assisted in his move out to LA) has decided he was done with her. Since I was born a century too late its so hard to think about how to handle things like this without the assistance of laudanum and a prospectors axe. Its really sad that the days of forcing someone to like you with the threat of physical violence are mostly gone. And its so sad that you can no longer live in a mutually supportive, yet sexless, marriage with a wealthy and fashionable gay man. Its time for us to wake up and make the babyboomers pay for what they have done to society.

No comments: