4.12.2007

Strike Two


P1010323
Originally uploaded by kayekilla.

I tried to get inside another one of Californias beautiful and slightly creepy Spanish missions yesterday. My first attempt in San Gabriel didn't work out becase they had just closed up shop (at 4pm!)

And yesterday, in Santa Barbara, seconds after we found parking (which wasn't easy - its spring break around here) we were informed that the mission was closed due to a power outage.

I thought this was a bit of bullshit because I know that those building have been around since before electrical times. I think they could have considered the rest of us tourists and lit up some old fashioned torches.

N said she didn't understand the appeal of the Missions and I tried to come up with a fantastical story about Hitchcock, Virtigo, Monks, and the Spanish Inquisition. I wouldn't really know since I have never actually been inside.

Gorgeous day yesterday : oceans, palm trees, channel islands, mountains and valleys. At dinner last night I told T that our ride out to Santa Barbara was awesome and she said (innocently) "What was so great about it?" Spoken like someone raised in Southern California.

No comments: