5.11.2010

One New Thing a Day: Outside the Box

B is back and he bought me a note card set, a bracelet, and a Sprinkles cupcake bake kit. So obviously I forgave him for leaving me alone for a week to deal with the boxes, slow heating shower, and the At&t Uverse/CIA Surveillance people (they have been to our new place five times). I did tell him the cupcake kit was positively worthless unless we had brightly colored mixing bowls so we went to Williams and Sonomoa and filled that gap too. My life is complete. For now. I do still have to work.

Forget the money, there are many meaningful differences between my old corporate/sales job and my new office/nonprofit job. In a good sales job, your company will send you an inspirational book (and maybe an ipod) every month or so -- stuff like Zig Ziggler and Spin Sales and Who Moved My Cheese and all other kinds of books made out of those posters with pictures of eagles and waterfalls and single words like “courage” and “endurance”. All of my coworkers had florescent white teeth and a pre-programmed conversation about how they just  “love to learn” and how they even go so far as to “learn one new thing a day.” At first I thought, who needs to verbalize this sh*t?  What are we going to talk about next? Stepping outside of the box? Thinking creatively? But now I understand – they are not to be blamed. Once you learn that learning is marketable, therefore desirable, its like lip plumper or a full bleed business card.

So can I help it if I have carried over my own undeclared, unselfconscious love of learning new things to my southern-state-paced non-profit job?

Today on my drive to work I learned that there is an old cemetery (with a name that seems to be missing vowels) on Airways that I never noticed before AND there are two small patches of bamboo near my beloved industrial park. Bamboo can grow three fet in a day! Those patches could have been planted two days ago! I also learned that Jello cups can have as little as ten calories no matter the flavor, the Mississippi River raised eight feet this weekend, my officemate doesn’t do movies, and there is a new tv series staring everyones favorite Scientologist skater as an Elvis Impersonating Memphis cop.

What did you learn today?

No comments: