10.30.2012

Yellow Ribbons and House Plants

IMAG5558 IMAG5559

I came up with a mascot for my sister while she is deployed. She is in the army. I think the world will come to know her as Sargent Sparkle. 

I found this grow-your-own grass kit at a the Midtown CVS (the same one that was vehemently protested by locals last year because they had to tear down a beautiful historic church to put in this drugstore, but, as we all know, everything happens for a reason and had they not torn down that historic church I would not have found this little fella on clearance for seventy-five cents) and I thought I would send her pictures of it as it grew. My thinking is that nothing brightens a day at war like grass coming out of a ceramic frog’s head. Also, it is pro-active to find something to do when you’re experiencing a distressing event that is out of your control.

Well, here is a little something you can put in the bank: it is very easy to grow grass. This guy shot up like a weed. I suppose that is to be expected, however I don’t have a lot of experience with living plants so I was convinced that the success was a positive omen. Here he is in the original packaging and just two days after planting!

  IMAG5130 IMAG5153

So, my sis was deployed to Afghanistan today. She left in the morning and had a chance to text me a few things before she was officially incommunicado. Like this photo of lunch:

2012-10-30_11.36.09(Unauthorized) pic of her last American meal. We could do better than vienna sausages for our troops, but then again I am not a soldier trained to withstand all kinds of challenging and adverse conditions. 

The last thing I heard from her was that she was about to board a Boeing 777 and that was just precious because we had just toured the Boeing plant back in August. Her text said that she let her bosses know “If it ain’t a boeing, I’m not going (to the ‘ghan).” That shows you how much pull she has around there!

Now she is gone and I gave the mascot a warrior buzz cut. She told me that the soldiers fly over holding all of their gear. Sounds dreadful. And I thank her for her service.

Side note: A yellow ribbon means all kinds of things, but I am going to say it means I am waiting for a soldier to come home.

No comments: