1.27.2009

Metal Rocks

Yesterday I visited Jeannie T in the blacksmithing studio at The Metal Museum. She makes some cool and slightly creepy, (just because some pieces included cast doll faces) stuff. I'm generally impressed by folk that can manipulate metal (or the human mind). She showed me around the studio and explained some of the more basic parts of the craft. I may have to go back so I can see some molten metal because really, that is all anyone wants to see in their lifetime (that and a giant metal daffodil). I was really interested in the World Championship BBQ trophies that they make:

P1140179 P1140182

That's the trophy on the left with the giant cleaver. The other thing on the right is a special cooker for melting metal.

It's been good weather for multiple visits to that riverside drive part of town because it has been foggy just like the inside of a metal-melting-furnace but cold, cold like STEEL. So I went back today to check out the actual museum collection. Again it was the trophies/Wallys that made the biggest impression on me:

P1140278

Must have something to do with my obsession with being praised and recognized. Really though, even if I don't have distinguished metal art taste (yet) there is one strong take-away message from the Metal Museum;  Metalsmithing and Blacksmithing is not just for trophies.

0127091611

P1140301  P1140300

P1140291

1 comment:

kellyk said...

I thought this was going to be about donuts, then I found out it was about metal pickles and I'm waaaay happier.