6.08.2009

Entitled

I slept in until noon. Nothing good happens before noon anyway.

That is a little play on what my dad used to say about my curfew --“Nothing good happens after midnight – you don’t need to be out with the riff-raff.” He was so wrong. Do you know how many “buyers” don’t get out of their dishwashing jobs until after midnight? Do you know how many fistfights I got to see after midnight (slightly more than I saw in daylight)? If I hadn’t been practicing my rebellion, I wouldn’t have seen D___ J____ punch out S____ H____n’s windshield in front of M___ H_______ house on that warm august evening in ‘91. Valuable lesson learned: you may not remember the reason for the fight but you always remember the damage.

I’m organizing a fist-fight story zine – to commemorate the last, great generation of young people (mine) so holler at me. Things today aren’t nearly as exciting – maybe nothing good happens after 2012

Last week the LA Times posted an article about the new trend in young, unemployed singles; enjoyment. Seems it’s blowing people’s mind that young people gladly take their unemployment checks and go golfing. Somewhere in the article they say it is part of the “entitlement” generation. I think they are misusing the term. When it comes to current issues of entitlement I think more of – AIG & Countrywide (and some of the banks that took a chunk of a trillion dollar bailout) and not so much some poor schmuks that got liberal arts degrees and are now only qualified to use Twitter. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy their unemployment?

No comments: