7.13.2009

Slugburger Festival

I recently purchased a used book that features fun places to visit within a short drive from Memphis. If you have ever looked for such a book you would know that they are rare. This one was published around seven years ago so it is just possibly outdated enough to keep things interesting --Does that cafe still exist? How about that B&B? Are the owners still nice? And can you still smuggle pit bulls cross state lines through Arkansas?

Luck was shining on me because one of the super events recommended in the book was happening the day after I got it! As promised – an exciting event  just a short drive from Memphis: The Annual Corinth, Mississippi Slugburger Festival.

The festival started in 1988 and is essentially a small gathering of fair food, rides, and duh – slugburgers all in the quaint downtown of Corinth, a place also known for its Civil War history.

The Slugburger is a deep-fried mashed up patty of maybe a little meat and “filler”. According to the Borroum’s Drugstore menu, it originated in the great depression when meat was scarce. Any excuse to deep fry…

I tried one and it tasted like the skins of a Morningstar Farms fake chicken nugget. I do like mustard and pickles though so it was a winner:

P1180788 P1180789

**note the tablecloth of the Slugburger booth.

P1180790 P1180787

I took this picture knowing full well that our elders are people too and not tourist attractions but when you look this sweet eating a slugburger on the street, people need to see it:

P1180786

We ordered old-fashioned sodas at Borroum’s – they were served in old-fashioned Styrofoam cups and tasted like extract of Charms blow-pops.

Here is the inside of the store:

P1180747

And a picture of what being a dart vs balloon sharp-shooter will get you:

rebelrose

I’m going to use that as my personal identification/license plate from now on.

P1180781 P1180745

We didn’t interact with the locals as much as I would have liked. I believe my travel companion was too anxious (or nervous once he saw how super good I am at darts). I personally was mesmerized by the fair rides. They remind me of home and Truffaut. Heck, I remind myself of Truffaut:

I cannot wait to check out more of the day jaunts recommended in the book. I love driving on these southern highways. There is a hodge-podge car lot every seventeen miles so if your car breaks down you can just get another (or from the looks of it – the part you need). Most offer financing.

carlotMS

Love this place.

2 comments:

Alison J. Stein said...

What a fun post (and adventure!) Thanks especially for posting the pics of the table cloth, I love funky details like that. ;-)

kfw said...

You're really killing me. Rides, deep fried food, sodas in dusty shops. I likey.