12.12.2009

A Fit Bird

I sent an email questionnaire to my pal and favorite drawer/artist/fashionidol, Beth from Baltimore (commonly known as Bethfromabove). Her tumblr “Birds of Prey” is probably the most visually inspiring thing on the internet. Just the other day she posted a screenshot of her Facebook deactivation notice so….

Q: Did you really cancel your facebook account?

A: Yes
Q: Why?
A: Several reasons but i think the main ones are pretty obvious...  It's a waste of time and a vanity vortex.  ( I could give a way lengthier answer here, involving a book I read by philosopher Alan Watts, and Dante's description of Hell, but I will leave it to the facebook users interpretation of their own experiences).  Also, there are now over 350 million FB users, so it's not even original anymore.  It's just taking over and we are all a part of this waste of life without even really realizing what that means.  It's so new, that there isn't even a word for it yet in our language- the kind of self-obsession and subsequent insane boredom that comes from "social networking" sites. 

Anyway, I recommend ditching it, it feels great.

Q: Do you think tumblr is the answer for internet self-expression?

A: tumblr rules.  I really enjoy it.  It can be whatever you want it to be.  I use it as a kind of archive of images, mostly things I like from the internet, but also my own pictures and things i scanned out of books.  You can get straight to the point.  And you can be totally anonymous if you want to.  So in a way it's kind of the perfect outlet for internet self-expression (emphasis on internet)

Q: If you were a bird, what kind would you be?

A: Tough call- my first instinct is to say Owl, because they can turn their heads all the way around.  Falcons are cool too. I would definitely be a bird of prey.

Q: What, in your opinion, are the best colors for a sports team?

A: Purple and Black and White, because that is what the Baltimore Ravens are

3 comments:

ryan schude said...

so, my only guff with this tumblr thing is the exact anonymity you speak of. i've found an image on birds of prey that allows me no chance of finding who created it. i understand that the point of your blog is to express yourself and that photo credits might interfere with this, no sarcasm intended because i agree, credits can be distracting from the point. BUT, i also sympathize with whoever the original artist was and the potential that their original point might have been to open up some sort of dialogue which has presently been made impossible due to the ease with which we can repost and rip credits from the image. it would be nice if there was an embedded link that maybe we right click and get to a place to find the source, what do you think? either way, this is obviously not the right venue to whine about the problem so lemme just throw out a random request, beth, do you know who made this image? http://birdsofpray.tumblr.com/post/308945106

E.R.H said...

I found that picture when I googled the word "toys". Most of the images are found that way.

I think the 'artist' probably worked for Life magazine in the early 1970's.

E.R.H said...

Ps- this particular blog is not about showcasing art and/or artists. it's about scouring the depths of the internet and keeping a collection of what i find, like a virtual scrapbook. I always give credit when I "reblog" from someone else's tumblr. Likewise, if it is an image I take from an artist's art website, I set a click-through link.
Sorry I couldn't help you out with the troll picture!