12.16.2009

The New Deal

Watching a California Raisins Claymation Christmas Special downloaded from a torrent titled “Awesome Christmas Specials”, I finally have time to reflect on my first week and a half of being back at a regular JOB and I must say that I think that the raisin (California or otherwise) presents a daft metaphor for a week in the work world.

I have already received a few emails saying “I can’t wait to read your work adventures on your blog” and I agree, I can’t wait to read them either, but since this isn’t an entirely anonymous blog and I need to keep the ol j-o-b for a while, it is going to take some skill, some crafting, and maybe even some codewords to convey the latest experiences. Maybe I can set up an email list where I send the code words/fake names of the week? I’m sure I will figure something out.

In the meantime, I can mention that my new job will be taking me to some of my new most favorite places; rural Arkansas and Mississippi. And I can say that today, today I was in Clarksdale, MS and then Lambert, MS and on the way home, right  about an hour before the sun was about to go down we were on this road and I was thinking about how one of the workers at the school we visited mentioned how much it rained the other day and how the Miss Riv makes me think of rain and sandbags, and I was thinking about how random “car lots” are a southern, particularly Mississippi, staple, and then we came up on this home with about a hundred cars in the yard, fifty of them toward the front  road lined up in rows that started off presentable and got less and less so as the cars filled the low back yard. The back lot was so low that the rain water had filled the last few rows of cars with rainwater up past the door handles. The water came up to a high point about thirty yards from the house and formed a legitimate pond  with random islands of rusty car hoods amongst skinny and leafless treetops, and all of this was doubled by the pre-sundown reflection in the water and we drove by without taking a picture or buying a car or mentioning the magnificence of the scene.

No comments: