4.24.2010

Breaking Bad

You might have heard about the day of reckoning winds and flash flooding here in Memphis. Not a great day to change up residences, but we managed to move all of our belongings between the raindrops (more like rainbullets). That is how fast we are. Of course the movers helped and so did the intermitent storming.  We alternated between prehurricane and blistering southern sun all day. I acted busy covering wine glasses with the lightgreen foam Uhaul gave us.

I have a subconscious tradition where I break something I really like every time I move.  I move more than the average person and I have lots of things to be fond of so you can imagine how much I am affected by this.  Today I broke a handmade orange ceramic heart-shaped photo frame that I found at a Salvation Army in Lansing, MI about 14 years ago. It was the one trinket item I took with me on all of my hobo-light cross-country moves and today I let it fall to its death of a millionlittlepieces right near my car door because I didn't want to set a box down to get my keys out of my pocket.

The move out here I smashed a bud vase my mother gave me. The move back to Detroit from LA I busted up two tiny danish bowls (Pasadena garage sale find) that were shades of green and yellow only available during certain appearances of certain comets. And my move from Detroit I crushed one of a special pair of Arbys 1975 Astrological collectors glasses in the sign (my sign) of Cancer.  Oh and the list goes on, the next item being too painful to continue (sewing machine).

But it is usually only one item - just one. And this allows me to seek meaning in the loss. Like maybe the secret world of possessions is sending me life-changing messages.  For example, regarding the loss today, I'm starting to realise that unique photo frame was just a thing - a clump of earth glazed for decoration and for christsakes hearts aren't orange.


SK

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

2 comments:

E.R.H said...

<3

kfw said...

Loved this... I have some Wizard of Oz tumblers from Krystal's that I treasure!